The History of Cered
The name of the village spelled CHEREG appears in a charter dated 17 July 1405. Throughout the centuries various spellings were used: SZERED, CHERED, in the records kept by the chapter of Eger it appears as CSERED, while in documents prior to 1924 it appeared as CZERED.
The village was founded approximately 100-200 years before its name was recorded in the charter, as there is written evidence that 18 years after the name was irst recorded there were 23 houses in the village, which, at that time was a rather big serf village. The village is at the triple border of the counties Nograd, Gomor and Heves, at the headwaters of the Tarna creek. Originally the village belonged to Gomor County, but since 1461 it has been part of Nograd County.
The origins of the name Cered are unclear, but perhaps, it comes from the cser, the Hungarian for Turkey oak, which cover a large part of the area. Over the centuries the forests have become plough lands and pastures. The local names however still relect that once there were vast forests here that have been cut, as irtvany/ortvany which in Hungarian mean cutting can be found in names like Hodos ortvany, Szijj ortvany, Polyak ortvany, and we even have an area called Laz, which in Slovakian means clearing.
Cered was always a serf village, its inhabitants worked in forestry and agriculture. It often changed hands.
There is a long list of families who the village belonged to: the Kacsics and Szecsenyi family, the Losonczy, Guti, Verbőczy, Ragyolci, Raday, Peterffy, Teleki, Kubinyi, Szilassy, Radvancsky, Humayer and Farkas families.
The village has always attracted a lot of visitors with its unparalleled natural beauty. In the interwar period the Radvanszky mansion, built before 1891 was open. Lots of visitors flocked here in summer, and with the dam across the Tarna creek the water levels rose, so it could be used for bathing. The mansion building now houses the village house; the surrounding chestnut and sycamore trees are the same age as the building.
After the Treaty of Trianon, the Medvesalja region was split in half, which was a major blow to the village as the nearby railroad now belonged to Czechoslovakia. After the redrawing of the borders, it became necessary to have a paved road to the village, which was built in 1926, providing access to the new seat of the district, Salgotarjan.
The Medvesalja region has always been considered the centre of Paloc land; their inhabitants are called Paloc who speak a special dialect of the Hungarian language. Even today there are some words and expressions unique to this region, not used elsewhere in Hungary like kutacs (ireplace poker, called piszkavas in standard Hungarian), macsanka (potato paprika in the Paloc dialect), ganca (dough made from boiled potato), pampuska (doughnut, called fank in standard Hungarian), tyűkor (mirror, spelled tukor in standard Hungarian), luterna (alfalfa, spelled lucerna in standard Hungarian), csivelyeg (to loiter, which is tengődik in standard Hungarian), kuszmarint (prepare, which is elkeszit in standard Hungarian).
Today Cered has all the infrastructure that is important for village life, including water supply and sewers, sewage treatment plant, natural gas pipelines. The Cered-Salgotarjan road has been reconstructed recently; there are mobile phone networks, cable television and broadband internet access. There is a village doctor, a dentist and maternity and infant care service. The elementary school building is being renovated and extended at the moment. The village has a kindergarten and a residential nursing home, a savings cooperative branch and a post ofice. There are ive grocery shops, 3 pubs and a boarding house, with a restaurant. There are ive bead and breakfast places in the village that provide guests with special Paloc style hospitality. Cered has been popular tourist destination.
There are 900 meters of ishing lakes separated by four dams, and there are horse riding and hunting facilities, hiking tracks, nature sites and various events all year round.
Árpád Czene, Mayor of Cered
This post is also available in: Hungarian